I should be apologizing for posting such a naughty recipe, but I'm not. It's still primal, even if you use the cheese-added version. And the cheese-added version works with my Modified Phase 3 of the Body By Butter Protocol. So I will be eating some dairy, thanks. If you follow my Instagram, you've probably heard that I'm playing King Lear in a production that opens this weekend. The huge plot of the story is that Lear goes mad, and I have this (sometimes detrimental) tendency to pick up habits from the characters I play. Fingers crossed that the one Lear grants me is his kingly posture, not his madness. Either way, this recipe was included in my meal prep a few weeks ago and I'm convinced it's the reason I didn't let Lear's character completely take over my mind. God bless pizza for preventing insanity.
I experimented with a similar variation of deep dish pizza a few months ago, but I did not use my own crust recipe with it. Being the perfectionist that I am, I didn't want to give a partial recipe that basically just told you how to build a pizza. Because come on, that's the EASY part! You come here for the full recipe, not to be sent to other websites that help me piece something together.
So, when I finally stopped stalling and stocked up on some Cassava Flour from Barefoot Provisions, I got to work. That's right - the crust for this recipe is grain-free AND nut-free. Stretching the blessings of pizza to even more people should get me some good karma or something.
I'll stop this 6AM ranting now and let you get to the recipe. And the cooking. And the blessings. Amen.
Deep Dish Pizza
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Two 9-inch deep dish pizzas, Approx. 6-8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare the Pizza Crust dough and Meaty Marinara Sauce as directed.
- Once dough for Crust is made, mold it into your greased deep dish pizza pan (I just use two 9-inch round cake pans) and bake for 10 minutes to firm up.
- Pull crusts out of the oven and ladle some sauce into each of them, only filling about 1/3 of the depth. Then, spread veggies listed in ingredients or whichever ones you're using on top of the sauce. Lay mozzarella slices on top of the veggies, and spoon more sauce over the cheese.
- Top off the pizza with pepperoni covering the second sauce layer, and shredded cheese sprinkled on top.
- Bake full pizzas for another 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and veggies are softened to your liking. Slice into it and enjoy right away, or enjoy piece by piece from the fridge for up to a week.
Tripled batch of Egg, Nut, and Yeast-free Pizza Crust
1/2 batch (roughly 4 cups) of Meaty Marinara Sauce, or other sauce of choice
Suggested things to throw in:
1 green bell pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1/2 sweet onion, diced
Additive- and nitrate-free pepperoni, such as Applegate Naturals brand
If dairy is tolerated:
Grass-fed or organic mozzarella cheese of choice, sliced
Other grass-fed or organic hard cheese, shredded (I use Dubliner Kerrygold cheese, but it is very strongly flavored, so beware if you don't like that!)