Don't be fooled by the dark color of this baby - that's just a result of the coconut sugar and maple syrup. This is a delightful vanilla cake that comes out moist and dense, but doesn't leave you feeling heavy after enjoying a piece (or two!).
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 28-30 minutes Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease cake pan with oil of your choice.
2. Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl until combined evenly.
3. Fold in vanilla, eggs, maple syrup, and butter one at a time. This will keep the very light arrowroot flour from flying out of your bowl and ensure that the batter comes out consistent. Beat for about 2 minutes after all of these ingredients are added.
4. Add palm shortening and mix slowly at first, increasing to a higher speed again as the chunks break up. Beat for another 2 minutes.
5. Once an even batter has been created, pour into your cake pan and cook for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool after baking before removing the cake from the pan to decorate it.