Just please trust me on this one. I know it sounds weird. That's because it is. But these potatoes are reminiscent of those huge white potatoes loaded with ground beef and cheese that you can get at restaurants and stuff, but they're way better for you and nothing can fully match the flavor of these babies. Where do I get such ideas? I have no clue. Anyway, have fun with this one.
Twice-Baked Salmon Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook time: 52 minutes Total time: 57 minutes (Wow that's exact. Don't hold me to this)
Yield: 4 servings
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. While it is warming up, scrub and poke holes in the sweet potatoes and place them on a greased baking sheet.
2. Bake sweet potatoes until completely soft, about 40 minutes. While they are baking, drizzle olive oil over the salmon. Place this on a separate greased baking sheet and add to the oven when there is 10 minutes left (plus or minus a few minutes depending on how thick the cut is. Rule of thumb is 10 minutes per 1 inch of thickness of a salmon filet).
3. Once both the potatoes and fish are cooked, remove them from the oven. Cut open the sweet potatoes and scoop out the flesh, being careful to keep the skins intact. Put all of the sweet potato "guts" into a large bowl.
4. Mash the sweet potato that is in the bowl. Use a hand blender if you want it done thoroughly. Add celery seeds and integrate well.
5. After the potatoes are well mashed, remove salmon from the skin and crumble it up. Add slowly to the mashed potatoes. Mix it in well.
6. Once the salmon is broken up and well distributed among the sweet potato mash, scoop the mash back into the sweet potato skins, salmon and all. Really stuff the potatoes - they will obviously have more in them than before because now there's salmon involved, too.
7. Top your stuffed potatoes with the garlic powder, italian seasonings, and green onion pieces. Adjust spices to taste.
8. Place potatoes back in the oven on a greased baking sheet. Bake for another 10-12 minutes, until the tops are slightly crispy.
9. Remove from the oven and serve! This is great with some clarified butter on top.
4 sweet potatoes of roughly the same size
1 lb wild-caught salmon
4 green onions, chopped
2-4 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried italian spices
1/2 tsp celery seeds