Perfect for leftovers from the holiday season... Or, in my case, that giant pile of turkey meat sitting in the fridge from this weekend's hunting trip. Home cooking is ALWAYS good!
Turkey Pot Pie
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC)
2. If the turkey is not already cooked, place in a pot that is large enough to hold the meat and cover it with water. Heat the turkey and water on medium over the stove until it comes to a boil, then allow it to simmer, covered, for 12-15 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the middle. Prep the veggies while the turkey is simmering. Drain the water from the pot and allow turkey to cool, then shred it with a fork and set aside.
3. If the turkey is already cooked, shred it and set aside. Prep all of the veggies before cooking anything as well.
4. In a large pan, melt the 2 Tbsp butter and sauté onions, garlic, and turkey.
5. Allow to cook for about 2 minutes, then add broccoli, celery, carrots, and spices. Mix thoroughly and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until vegetables have softened a bit.
6. Once veggies are al dente, add broth and stir thoroughly. Work in the potato starch 1 Tbsp at a time, making sure each tbsp is stirred in well before adding the next one. This will thicken up the broth like a "traditional" chicken pot pie stuffing.
7. Add the completed filling to a greased pie pan or lasagna pan, whichever you prefer. The crust is only for the top, so make that last or while the turkey is cooking.
8. For the crust, whisk together all ingredients except for the arrowroot starch until a batter-like consistency is formed.
9. Add arrowroot starch 1/4 cup at a time to the rest of the crust ingredients, stirring well each time. The final product should be thick, but not sticky.
10. Roll out your crust topping on an arrowroot starch-covered counter, or simply flatten out sections with your hands and place it on top of the filling (I used the second option, which is why the crust appears a bit cracked in my photos). Sprinkle the crust with any extra garlic powder or black pepper you may want. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is slightly golden. Cut into pieces and serve.
1.5 lb boneless turkey breast
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 head broccoli, florets broken into small pieces
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large carrots, chopped
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup vegetable broth
3-4 Tbsp potato starch
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp clarified butter
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp Italian herb mix
Black pepper, to taste
CRUST: Halve this part of the recipe if using a traditional pie pan. The measurements below are for if you are using a lasagna/casserole pan.
2 cups almond flour
1 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 cup clarified butter
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Black pepper, if desired