This recipe is the spawn of my obsessive-compulsive tendencies to try too many theories at once. Namely:
- Meal timing
- Whole 30® Paleo
- Eating #MoreVegetablesThanAVegetarian
While I've done a few Whole 30®'s now (currently on my fourth as of June 2017!) I've never successfully tried keto (high fat, moderate protein, low low LOW carb) before. So I embarked on a keto Whole 30®, which may actually make it not really a Whole 30®, but paleYOLO. Or whatever. I like to experiment.
I also like to life weights.
Which is a problem when it comes to ketosis, because most of the literature out there right now tends to agree that a ketogenic diet is great for endurance athletes, but not so much for power. Or, at the very least, power athletes still benefit from ketosis more when they incorporate a carb-up day once or twice a week. And those carbs are best metabolized right after a workout. But it takes 4-ish weeks to become keto-adapted. I'm beginning week 3 of this keto Whole 30® during the posting of this recipe.
So, this is my compromise: Starchy veggies, some good fat, some protein, post-workout. Though veggies are low-carb, this is still more carbs than I eat the rest of the day. Compromise, eh?
Not to mention, this recipe is delicious. It gets some spicy flare and I actually will usually sneak some Turmeric & Black Pepper in for Their Benefits. The flavors mix in very well and it's not gross. Oh, and bonus bonus: this recipe is a quickie. Promise! ;)
Tex-Mex Broccoli Slaw
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: none Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Spread chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and bake for 25 minutes, or until no pink remains and the juice runs clear.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the julienned veggies, guac, and pico de gallo.
- Mix together the veggies, guacamole, and pico once all is prepared.
- Remove chicken from the oven, allow it to cool, and cut into small cubes.
- Mix the chicken in with the veggie slaw and serve... or throw it in some Tupperware as an easy #MealPrep ;)
4 cups pre-shredded broccoli, carrot, cabbage mix*
1 lb boneless/skinless chicken breast
1 cup Guacamole
1/2 cup Pico de Gallo
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
*I've found this in the produce section of multiple grocery stores. If mix is unavailable:
2 cups julienned broccoli stem
1 cup julienned carrot
1 cup shredded purple cabbage