With Mother's Day coming up this Sunday, I wanted to create a new treat that the moms in my life would love. I definitely got my chocolate obsession from the men in my family, because the women actually tend to prefer fruity sweetness to cocoa (weirdos).
I'm only like half-serious on that "weirdos" comment, because I love ANY sweetness. So this bread was gone way faster than I'd planned on when I was creating this recipe. No ragrets.
If you want a soft, filling, better-ingredients sweet breakfast bread to treat your mom (or yo'self!) with, this is the one for you.
Meyer Lemon Breakfast Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 1 hour, 10 minutes Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: One 9x5 bread loaf
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Pulse 2 Tbsp of chia seeds in a blender with a milling blade until they're broken up into a meal. DO NOT pulse more than a few seconds - they'll break quickly and you don't want them too fine, just enough to expose some of the insides of the seeds.
- Mix the 2 Tbsp of chia seeds with the 6 Tbsp of water and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken. These will be your "eggs."
- Meanwhile, mix together all dry ingredients until well combined in a large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until a uniform mixture is reached. Incorporate chia eggs last, once they have made a thick gel.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine until a thick dough is formed.
- Line the bread pan with parchment paper and press the dough into the pan. Spread evenly throughout and flatten the top. Sprinkle/press extra chia seeds on top, if desired.
- Bake for 1 hour. If a toothpick does not come out dry when stuck in the middle, place the bread back into the over for up to 20 more minutes, checking it in 5 minute increments. It's been humid here lately, so I drier climates may have more luck completely baking it in less time than it took me here in Austin.
- Just before the bread is done, whisk together glaze ingredients. Remove finished bread from the oven and let sit 10 minutes to begin cooling. Pour about 1/2 of the glaze onto the still-warm bread, allowing it to seep into the loaf. Once bread is completely cooled, remove from the pan and add the rest of the glaze as desired.
1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup potato starch/flour
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 Tbsp chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup raw honey
Juice of 3 large Meyer lemons
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
Juice of 1/2 large Meyer lemon
1 1/2 Tbsp raw honey
1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
Top with a sprinkle of chia seeds