I know many people are starting the Whole 30 today, what with all of the holiday indulgences we just had. I'm not personally doing another one until March-ish because I am still supplementing for muscle gain, but most of my day-to-day meals follow their basic guidelines anyway. Whether this is your first or tenth Whole 30, or you just want an easy and deliciously healthy breakfast, this is the thing for you!
Egg-filled Sausage and Veggie Sauté
Prep time: 5 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
1. Melt clarified butter on a skillet over medium heat. Sauté breakfast sausage patty until cooked to wellness of your liking.
2. Remove sausage from the stove and cut a hole in the middle. It doesn't need to be huge, but big enough that the majority of an egg can fit in it. Reserve removed part for veggie sauté.
3. Place sausage with hole in it back on the stove and crack an egg into the middle. Cook on one side until egg white is opaque, then flip the sausage and egg together to cook the other side.
4. Remove the sausage and egg and set aside. They should be cooked through enough so they stick together when removed from the pan, but you can remove it soon enough so that the egg yolk is still runny, if desired.
5. Add onion slices to the remaining butter and sausage oils on the pan. Sauté for about a minute to soften it up, then add sweet potato gnocchi and stir for another minute. The gnocchi will brown on the edges pretty quickly. If using sweet potato pieces, you will need to cook them a few minutes longer to soften them through.
6. Once gnocchi starts browning on the edges, add kale leaves, black pepper and break reserved sausage into pieces in the pan as well. Cook for 1-2 minutes, enough to mix the flavors and soften the kale leaves without making them soggy.
7. Remove from the heat and enjoy!