One of my favorite things about the Body by Butter Protocol is the meal plan that comes along with it. You by no means need to follow said plan, but it helps spur a lot of ideas and get you into the food mindset that the program tries to cultivate. This particular recipe is one I've used regularly for meal prep since trying it from the 11-Day Free Detox ebook that Grass Fed Salsa also offers. If you're interested in my personal story on this Protocol, head over to read my full review of it.
The name of the recipe says it all about the chicken. The inside is juicy, the skin is crunchy, and the flavor is deliciously paired with tons of other plates or eaten by itself. However, this recipe also gets you a huge batch of perfectly cooked root veggies that I have not been able to duplicate outside of this dish. They alone are reason enough to try this out ASAP!
Crispy Skin Roasted Chicken
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 1 hour, 20 minutes Total time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Pat your chicken dry with paper towels and rub it down with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and 1/2 a tsp each of the salt and pepper. At this point, you can liberally sprinkle it with any dried herbs and/or garlic.
- Sprinkle the inside of the cavity of the chicken with salt, pepper, and herbs. Place the thinly sliced lemon in the cavity as well.
- Place the bird in a 9x13 glass cake pan/baking dish and surround with uncooked root vegetables of choice. Place baking dish on the center oven rack for exactly 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the heat down to 375ºF and set the timer on your oven for one more hour.
- Remove from the oven, let your masterpiece rest for 10-20 minutes before slicing into it. You will easily have enough chicken for 4-5 meals, and the veggies will last you 2-4 meals as well.
- Remove all the meat you can from the bones and make bone broth with the carcass.
1 (3-4 lb) Whole Fresh Chicken (organic/pasture raised is preferred)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
As much of each of any dried/fresh herbs such as: sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, granulated garlic
1 organic lemon (sliced thin)
3-4 cups root vegetables of choice, cut to bite-sized pieces (any kind of potatoes, carrots, yuca, radishes, parsnips, etc.)