What happens when a Southern girl goes Paleo? She STILL likes chicken fried steak. And she will do anything to make it Paleo-complaint because she is also a perfectionist with fitness goals. Yes, I just told you about myself in the third person.
After making this stuff, my roommate walked into the kitchen and asked if I would be "able to eat it" because she didn't believe it was paleo. Yeah, I think I nailed this one.
Chicken Fried Steak
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook time: 10-15 minutes Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
1. Cook the bacon in a large and deep pan. You won't use the actual bacon in this recipe, but I've never heard anyone complain about having extra bacon laying around. You want the grease for cooking the steak, so save that when the bacon is done cooking.
3. Cut round steak into 6 equal pieces and beat them to tenderize.
4. When bacon is removed from the pan, leave the heat on the grease and begin coating the steak pieces. Do this by dipping one piece at a time first in the egg mixture, then into the dry arrowroot mixture and coating thoroughly. Add each finished piece of steak to the cooking bacon grease. You will probably only be able to cook 2-3 pieces at a time.
5. The steak will cook fairly fast, only needing a few minutes per piece. Make sure to flip each piece several times to ensure equal cooking of the "breading" and meat. When steak appears to be cooked to the wellness of your liking, remove from the grease. You can cut into it to make sure.
6. Continue this process until all steaks are done. Cover it in some Country White Gravy and dig in!