As one of the biggest new trends in healthy living, it's no wonder that people are becoming increasingly interested in the health benefits of using apple cider vinegar. While everyone probably has a bottle of it stuffed away somewhere in their kitchen, not many people would think to immediately turn to it for its medicinal purposes. With that in mind, this article lists some of the many health facts that support regular use of apple cider vinegar as well as detailed instructions on how to make the most of its use.
Health benefits and uses that apple cider vinegar provides:
1. Lowers Blood Pressure
Studies have shown that just consuming a glass of apple cider vinegar a day can help shave off a few points from your blood pressure (1).
2. Lowers Cholesterol
Along a similar vein, studies have also shown that a diet which includes apple cider vinegar can substantially lower your cholesterol compared to a diet without it.
3. Regulates Blood Sugar Levels
Thanks to its anti-glycemic effect, apple cider vinegar is very effective in maintaining blood sugar levels and preventing unnecessary blood sugar spikes or drops if you suffer with insulin sensitivity (3).
4. Detoxes your Liver
When it comes to the health benefits of apple cider vinegar, liver detoxification is a very popular subject. The acidity of the vinegar can enhance glycogen repletion (4) and help your liver remove toxins more efficiently.
5. Promotes Weight Loss
As multiple studies have suggested, weight loss is one of the most frequently cited benefits from consuming apple cider vinegar regularly(5,6).
6. Clears Sinuses
Due to its antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar is especially effective at breaking down mucus and keeping your air passageways clear.
7. Cures Sore Throats
Have you ever struggled with getting rid of a sore throat? Just gargle a glass of equal parts water and vinegar every few hours and watch apple cider vinegar work its magic.
8. Relieves Heartburn
As long as your heartburn isn't caused by an internal lesion or ulcer, apple cider vinegar can neutralize the acid in your stomach that causes your heartburn.
Even better, apple cider vinegar...
9. Settles an Upset Stomach
For the same reason that apple cider vinegar is great against heartburn, it's also effective (7) at dealing with an upset stomach. Simply ingest a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and wait for it to take full effect.
10. Helps Sunburned Skin
Instead of applying it directly to your skin, pour one cup of apple cider vinegar in the tub before taking a bath. This will help soothe your skin and relieve any pain or itching that you might be feeling.
11. Removes Warts
By applying vinegar directly to the infected area just before going to bed, the vinegar’s natural acidity will break down the wart over several days.
12. Provides a Quick Energy Boost
A diluted mixture of water and vinegar can help your muscles convert carbohydrates into energy more effectively than a diet without any acetic acid. No need to resort to caffeine or those unhealthy energy drinks when you need a quick jolt of energy!
13. Quickly Heals Bruises
As an anti-inflammatory agent, apple cider vinegar can help to reduce swelling or discoloration in areas of your body that have recently developed bruises.
14. Protects your Hair
When mixed with water, apple cider vinegar is incredibly effective at removing product buildup in your hair, as well as protecting it from dandruff.
15. Whitens Teeth
Simply brush your teeth as normal and then swish around some apple cider vinegar mixed with two parts water.
Regular use of apple cider vinegar serves a two punch combo for oral health, as it also:
16. Sweetens Bad Breath
For the same reason that apple cider vinegar is great for brushing teeth, it's also great as a breath deodorizer.
17. Prevents Acne Breakouts
Use of apple cider vinegar on your face and skin can be very effective for acne treatment, but make sure to dilute your vinegar with water before applying it to your face. If you don’t take this precaution, the vinegar can further aggravate any breakouts.
18. Deodorizes Stinky Feet
Apple cider vinegar eliminates odors like those coming from your feet by balancing the pH levels and killing the bacteria that live in those stinky areas. This might also be good tip to pass on to your significant other!
Apple cider vinegar is a versatile cleaner because on top of everything else, it:
19. Great Natural Body Odor Deterrent
Simply add undiluted apple cider vinegar to any areas on your body, and its odor-killing properties will take care of the problem quickly! Works very well for armpit and foot odor.
20. Excels as a Natural Cleaner
Unlike other cleaners that need to be applied directly to problematic areas on your body, all you need with apple cider vinegar is a small dish to put it in. Its odor-killing properties will take care of the problem on their own!
21. Improves Bone Health
By balancing your pH levels, apple cider vinegar can improve your bone health. This is great news if you suffer from bone disease such as osteoporosis or osteoarthritis.
22. Keeps Produce Clean and Bacteria Free
Multiple studies have found that a diluted mixture of water and vinegar is actually the best way to clean produce (8).
23. Reduces Allergic Reactions
As apple cider vinegar is incredibly effective at dealing with sinus infections and sore throats, it should come as no surprise that it is also effective at reducing the effects of allergic reactions.
24. Relieves Muscle Soreness
Rubbing apple cider vinegar into your skin can give it a soothing and relaxing feeling while also providing relief to your tired muscles.
25. Relieve Arthritis Pain
Finally, a lifestyle that features regular use of apple cider vinegar health can positively impact any arthritis-related issues, such as joint pain. Given the studies that indicate a solid correlation between apple cider vinegar and stronger bones and softer skin, it's no wonder that vinegar can also help you with arthritis.
Relief for your Health Issue might be in Front of your Nose
When it comes to the health impact of apple cider vinegar, weight loss is just one of the many great uses. Given its effectiveness in helping with liver detoxification, arthritis pain, and a wide range of beauty applications, there are simply too many apple cider vinegar benefits to cover in just one article. With that in mind, be sure to experiment to see what other ways apple cider vinegar can help you!
About the Author
Leonard Parker is a health blogger and owner of the eCommerce store, Rebounder Zone. Through Rebounder Zone, Leonard’s team specializes in rebounder trampolines, health equipment, and useful health information for mature adults.
Leonard is a graduate of Stanford University and has worked in various roles as a digital marketing specialist and technology consultant. Rebounder Zone was started because Leonard saw first hand how health living with regular exercise can change lives, and he wants to help others experience this incredible feeling, too. For any questions about rebounding or information mentioned in this article, please contact Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(1) Kondo, S, Tayama, K, Tsukamoto, Y, Ikeda, K, & Yamori, Y. (2001). Antihypertensive effects of acetic acid and vinegar on spontaneously hypertensive rats. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry, 65(12) Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11826965
(2) Ostman, E, Grandfeldt, Y, Persson, L, & Bjorck, I. (2005). Vinegar supplementation lowers glucose and insulin responses and increases satiety after a bread meal in healthy subjects. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 59(9). Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16015276
(3) Johnston, CS, Steplewska, I, Long, CA, Harris, LN, & Ryals, RH. (2010). Examination of the antiglycemic properties of vinegar in healthy adults. Annals of Nutrition & Metabolism, 56(1). doi: 10.1159/000272133
(4) Fushimi, T, Tayama, K, Fukaya, M, Kitakoshi, K, Nakai, N, Tsukamoto, Y, & Sato, Y. (2001). Acetic acid feeding enhances glycogen repletion in liver and skeletal muscle n fatty acids on apof rats. The Journal of Nutrition, 131(7). Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11435516
(5) Kohn, Jill. (2015). Is Vinegar an Effective Treatment for Glycemic Control or Weight Loss? Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 115(7). Retrieved from http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S2212-2672%2815%2900547-X/fulltext
(6) Johnston, CS, $ Gaas, CS. (2006). Vinegar: medicinal uses and antiglycemic effect.MedGenMed: Medscape General Medicine, 8(2). Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16926800
(7) Darzi, J, Frost, GS, Montaser, R, Yap, J, & Robertson, MD. (2014). Influence of the tolerability of vinegar as an oral source of short-chaipetite control and food intake. International Journal of Obesity, 38(5). doi: 10.1038/ijo.2013.157
(8) Yucel, Sengun I, & Karapinar, M. (2005). Effectiveness of household natural sanitizers in the elimination of Salmonella typhimurium on rocket (Eruca sativa Miller) and spring onion (Allium cepa L.). International Journal of Food Microbiology, 98(3). Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15698693/
(9) n.a. (May 16, 2016). Apple cider vinegar. Wikipedia. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar
(10) n.a. (March 29, 2016). Best way to clear a stuffy nose and relieve congestion. Sinusheal+. Retrieved from http://sinusheal.com/category/sinus-pain/
(11) Bonuel, V. (2016). I just came back from a game... Is this a tendon injury?. HealthTap. Retrieved from https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/809885
(12) Mattern, V. (October 30, 2012). How to wash produce properly. Mother Earth News. Retrieved from http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-wash-produce-zb0z1211zsor.aspx
(13) Roderiguez, D. (September 18, 2014). Using hot and cold therapy to relieve joint pain. Everyday Health. Retrieved from http://www.everydayhealth.com/arthritis/heat-and-cold-therapy.aspx
(14) Admin. (March 12, 2014). Plantar wart yeast injection, mar. Yeast Cure Review. Retrieved from http://yeastcurereview.com/2015/10/26/treatment-wart-yeast-plantar-injection-mar/
(15) n.a. (2016). What is the juxtaglomerular apparatus?. wiseGEEK. Retrieved from http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-juxtaglomerular-apparatus.htm
(16) n.a. (2016). Dirty feet. Offset. Retrieved from http://www.offset.com/search/dirty+feet